Prednisolone has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect and belongs to the group of corticosteroids. It reduces inflammation without eliminating the cause of its occurrence and that is why it is used in the treatment of a wide range of diseases.
There are only two contraindications for this drug:
- systemic fungal infections — can aggravate the infection;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug.
Please note that pregnant women and women of childbearing age are prescribed this drug only in extreme cases and only if the potential benefits of treatment outweigh the possible negative effects.
It is believed that a woman is allowed to breastfeed if the daily dose of Prednisolone does not exceed 5 mg. Such a dose does not cause any adverse effects in infants. Greater doses can cause impairment of adrenal gland function in infants and there can be a risk of growth inhibition.
Prednisolone: ??special considerations
People taking the drug should know the following points:
- sudden withdrawal of this drug leads to dysfunction of the adrenal glands;
- it masks the symptoms of infectious diseases. People coming from tropical countries or patients with dysentery should get tested for amoebiasis before starting taking the medicine;
- a long course of treatment can cause development of cataracts, glaucoma;
- high doses cause an increase in blood pressure, retention of water and sodium in the body. At the same potassium and calcium are actively excreted from the body. Therefore it is necessary to follow a specific diet (limited amount of sodium, increased amount of potassium and calcium);
- stopping the treatment after a long course can lead to development of withdrawal symptoms. Acetylsalicylic acid and other NSAIDs are prescribed for treatment in such cases;
- use of this drug can result in mental disorders (insomnia and euphoria, sudden mood swings and depression) etc.
After getting acquainted with all the aspects of Prednisolone use, you can safely order it without a prescription in the virtual pharmacy.